Progress Report – Week 13, 14, 15 (Last One)

Here it is…the final blog post summing up the last 3 weeks of our development cycle. It’s been a fun ride!

  • Artist Check-In on Monday, April 10th, 2017…
    • Quick update..Aaron is working on the villagers and Amanda is finishing the UI.
  • Designer Meeting on Monday, April 10th, 2017 (in which I attended)…
    • I contacted Arany Zoltan, a musician who specializes in European Folk Music. Arany got back to me and gave the team permission to use his work, so now we just need to pick out a song or two and let him know.
    • John then brought up Riley’s maps because there was a problem with them. Dmitri thinks the problem could be that they were made in the wrong version of Unreal or something to do with the substance plugin. The worst case scenario is that Riley has to remake them in the actual project.
    • He then brought up Customer Dialogue Files
    • After that, he showed the rest of the Designers a step-by-step guide to Mercurial so everyone will know how to use it. The guide shows how to create and merge branches as well as committing and pushing.
    • Riley then showed his character database doc, which included updates to the character’s primary and secondary traits. It also includes how much money they have, and their scale of wealth.
    • Dennis then clarified the priorities, which are sound, dialogue, and particle effects and suggested dividing it up. John and Dennis will take a look at particle effects.
    • John then showed off the build as part of the new dialogue is in as well as different customers.
    • We then looked at the Sellable Items List. They’re going to start modeling the icons for each one and possibly hand off to the Artists to quickly vertex paint them.
    • I then left to do homework for other classes but the rest of the Designers worked on their respective tasks for the rest of the meeting.
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, April 12th, 2017…
    • Ben worked on environment props.
    • Amanda worked on promo art.
    • Aaron worked on The Grand Master rig and animations.
  • Programmer Meeting on Wednesday, April 12th, 2017…
    • They spent the entire time trying to solve a bug with the game involving recurring customers.
  • Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, April 12th, 2017…
    • We started with a Quick Scrum…
      • I am almost done with the Competitive Review. I am then planning on focusing completely on preparing for the Senior Show and for release.
      • Amanda has finished UI and put it in the repo, and plans to focus on the demo reel and/or tweak the UI.
      • Gabby worked on fixing a bug in the build. If it can’t be fixed in time, the Designers planned in advance in which there would only be five recurring characters.
      • Riley gathered sound effects for the shop and the Troll. He was also looking at particle effect tutorials and is confident he can work on those.
      • Dennis gathered sound effects and our tracklist.
      • John has been looking at sounds and implemented about 95% of the UI. He plans on doing the 2nd draft of the poster since it’s due Friday.
      • Dmitri worked on the Adventurer System and it includes stats, level, experience, health. You can equip adventurers with items and give them food to increase health. The quests have success/failure text for each adventurer and success chance is based on adventurer experience and what items they are equipped with. He also changed completing the quests where the adventurer shows up in your shop upon returning and explaining that they returned. He also added scrolling text. He plans on adding the map and tweaking.
      • Aaron completed Troll and villager animations and plans to finish The Grand Master and he plans to clean up the Troll and finish up any assets.
      • Jed gathered sound effects and sent some music to me. He also implemented some dialogue and plans on doing some revisions/helping others with their dialogue.
      • Tony plans to work on quests, items, and dialogue.
      • Ben talked to an Artist from another team who helped him learn particle effects. He finished boss landscapes aside from the final boss. He also did environment props like rocks. He plans on putting them on mercurial and giving them a paint job.
      • Amanda had a question about a folder that would contain clips of our game so everyone can use for their individual reels.
      • Dan was not here because he ended up staying up all night working on implementing Aaron’s animations as well as modifying hit boxes and timers.
    • Jed then had a question about name changes in the dialogue boxes. Gabby thinks just having the name change on the box when someone new talks is too subtle, so she suggested having customer dialogue higher on the screen, and then The Grand Master’s dialogue lower.
    • John then asked Gabby for a tutorial on how to add dialogue into the text files so he can help the narrative Designers.
    • Dmitri then asked Aaron if there was time if he could make a generic adventurer.
    • He then also mentioned that the Designers could change the class names for the adventurers. As an example. Tam is a Level 1 Adventurer. In addition to this, when they’re not on quests, it says they are idle, so if time, the Designers could think of things they could be doing in that time. This would be a good spot to add in easter eggs of the other senior games.
    • I then asked the team who wanted to volunteer to help set up our game at the Senior Show. Ben and Dmitri volunteered.
    • We then discussed what props we’re going to have for the Senior Show. Ben can get a mannequin. Jed can get some armor. John suggested apples and stickers.
  • Following the class time on Friday, April 14th, 2017, we had our Full Group Work Meeting on Saturday, April 15th, 2017…
    • I organized tasks and moved ones over to the next sprint that needed to be moved, in addition to getting screenshots for Steam and gathering some sound effects.
    • Tony worked on quests.
    • Dennis worked on sound implementation.
    • Ben worked on the final level and props.
    • Dan and Dmitri worked on getting the Troll animations working. Dan then also plans making hit detection better.
    • John worked on updating the main menu, revising the credit screen, the poster, and reviewed Jed’s ending for the game.
    • Riley floated around helping other Designers with various things.
    • Dmitri worked on customers, the tutorial, animation implementation.
    • Aaron worked on making designs for the stickers and gave them to John so we could order them today.
  • We then started the next week with the Artist Check-In on Monday, April 17th, 2017…
    • Aaron worked from the labs, which included working on The Grand Master animations and on adventurer models
    • Amanda worked from home on the UI sheet, concept art, and Troll turnaround
  • Designer Meeting on Monday, April 17th, 2017…
    • They had a quick scrum about what they all did and plan to do.
    • Went over QA results, for the most part things went well people had fun. Some bugs and UI issues, but nothing too bad.
    • Went over sounds and plans for implementation.
    • Talked about getting gameplay footage, Riley said he’d get it once the Troll is in the game.
    • Looked at Steam Greenlight games.
  • Artist Meeting on Wednesday, April 19th, 2017…
    • They used this time to complete assets for The Grand Master.
    • Aaron worked with Ben on finishing environment vertex painting, props, and lighting.
    • Amanda continued working on concept and promotional art.
  • Programmer Meeting on Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 (in which I attended)…
    • We listed the tasks that still need to be finished and figured out the status of each one. This included fixing repo issues, troll boss/combo fight, recurring dialogue, menu polish, worm boss bugs, Progression System, tutorial, idle video, animations, Drifters, save data, Trust System, C++ structure, and options menu.
  • Our last Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, April 19th, 2017…
    • We started with a quick Scrum…
      • I did some minor sound design and I am preparing for the Steam submission.
      • Aaron completed The Grand Master’s animations, worked on extra villager props. He’s also been helping Ben re-paint environments.
      • Amanda worked on finishing concept art and her senior reel which is due tomorrow. Now she needs footage of the worm and the troll as well as UI screenshots.
      • Ben has been working on environments and still needs lighting for some of them.
      • Dennis gathered pretty much all of the sound effects.
      • Jed finished the footage for the final cutscene and just needs the voices. He had to re-input the text files as well.
      • John worked on cleaning up UI, the poster, and made items. He brought in our stickers as they arrived today. He plans on finishing the poster.
      • Riley has been implementing sounds.
      • Tony finished editing quests, and did QA and plans to do more QA.
      • Dan completed the Troll, but it needs sound and particles. He still needs to tweak the final boss fight.
      • Dmitri made the Adventurer System depend on which adventurer is being used. He still needs to polish it. He also added The Grand Master’s animations. The attack damage now needs to be re-balanced. He also plans to implement the Progression System.
      • Gabby worked on the customer dialogue and fixed bugs.
    • The Artists then mentioned cutting some environments. Ben suggested the Mountain Troll. Dmitri suggested not having bosses assigned to certain maps, and have the arenas be random. The Mountain Troll arena is officially cut.
    • Dmitri mentioned that the repo is broken and that he can’t find a way to fix it, so he informed the team that there is a new one.
    • Dan had a question on which arenas would have the trolls in them, which Ben answered.
    • Dmitri needed Designer help with tutorial, idle video, particles, and sounds. John and Riley said they could help.
    • Gabby then asked who can help with particles. Dennis volunteered.
    • Gabby then informed the Designers on how the dialogue and customer files are fragile, so one little mistake can crash the game. She then explained to them how to properly add the dialogue in.
    • Aaron mentioned that the adventurer models are done and can be implemented. He also said if anything else is needed, then let him know. He also needs a list of particles.
    • We then took a final vote on our new team name. Yhomstad Meadery was the winner.
    • I then talked about Steam stuff and how there is a submission fee.
    • John then wanted to talk about reels. He mentioned we need full gameplay to send to Dillon (our film guy).
    • Jed needed to ask Programmers about Drifters. He wanted to make a contingency plan if it couldn’t be done in time. Dmitri suggested having it to where after so many customers come through, a Drifter appears.
  • After this we had our class on Friday, April 21st, 2017. The final build was due on this day, although the final, final, FINAL build is due the following Tuesday (the days in between can only be spent on fixing anything that’s broken).
  • We then had a brief, optional meeting on Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 to officially submit our game to Steam Greenlight!! It is up and you can vote on it right now! ūüėÄ The link is:¬†http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911146599&searchtext=the+grand+master
  • After that there were no more meetings! We submitted our Final(x3) build on Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 and needless to say, we came through! Everything we agreed that would be in in the last discussion was in and everything worked almost flawlessly! (Aside from one or two things).
  • We then had a nice cookout with all of the senior game majors on Thursday, April 27th, 2017 which was a nice break from all the stress that game development brings.
  • AND FINALLY….we presented all of our games at the Champlain College Game Studio Senior Show in front of faculty, friends, family, and recruiters! Everyone looked good and went by smooth and fast. Afterward there was an after party in the art gallery where all the games were set up, and even real life props at all the stations! For us we had a mannequin dressed in a tunic, chainmail, and armor. We also had a basket of apples and The Grand Master’s hat, as well as stickers and business cards! Everyone who attended the show (even the recruiters) played the game and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. At long last…WE DID IT!!
Advertisements

Progress Report – Week 12

Updates for the week…we were only required to do ten blog posts but I didn’t want to leave anybody reading this on a cliffhanger so I’m continuing until the end of the semester…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, April 3rd, 2017…
    • Scheduled a work meeting next Wednesday at 6pm.
    • Jed worked on his companion’s dialogue to make it more linear.
    • Agreed to add all Recurring and General Customer dialogue this week.
    • Discussed an issue with True-items potentially being removed from the game.
    • Checked in on Riley’s level blockouts
    • Started talking about music and sound assets. The search for sound assets has begun, and Jed is attempting to get in contact with a European folk musician.
  • Artist Check-In on Monday, April 3rd, 2017…
    • Ben was sick and couldn’t make it.
    • Aaron worked on the troll.
    • Amanda worked on concept art for her demo reel.
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, April 5th, 2017 (in which I attended this week)…
    • Ben was still sick so he missed again.
    • Aaron continued work on the Troll.
    • Amanda worked on re-skinning.
    • I worked on the Competitive Review.
    • For the Full Group Meeting, they want to get feedback/suggestions for the crystal color of the Lava Worm.
  • Programmer¬†Meeting on Wednesday, April 5th, 2017…
    • They discussed what still needs to be implemented, which includes the troll boss, the worm variations, adventurer system/map, the dialogue system, and lots of polish.
    • For the Full Group Meeting, they wanted to bring up boss item drops and get an update on the boss maps/arenas as well as the final arena.
  • Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, April 5th, 2017…
    • We started with a quick Scrum (minus Ben since he is sick)…
      • I started the Competitive Review but is not finished yet.
      • Riley has basically finished the level blockout he was working on. He plans on gathering sounds.
      • Dan got the fighting for the Troll done and plans to work on the Troll’s attacks and should be in by Friday, and plans to work on the final boss fight as well.
      • Amanda started re-skins of the Worm and almost finished the Lava Worm. She plans to finish the other worm re-skins and then move on to the Troll re-skins.
      • Gabby took out all of the old dialogue and got the response dialogue in. Now it needs to be merged.
      • Aaron has been animating the troll and plans to finish that.
      • Dmitri worked on cleaning up the project, fixed the wheel, got rid of the tutorial since it was getting in the way. He added the worm animations and plans to work on finishing the Adventurer system and implementation of the new map, and new dialogue system.
      • Jed has been plugging the dialogue in to text files and plans for that to be done on Thursday.
      • Tony has been tweaking the dialogue for his characters.
      • Dennis has been doing the same as Tony in addition to looking into sound.
      • John couldn’t put in as much work as he wanted due to some complications, but he trimmed up the script for the trailer, he plans on moving the progression system into the build.
    • John then mentioned that he went to the senior poster meeting and said that the rough draft for the poster was well-received but does need tweaks to meet all of the restrictions. This included tweaking the logo to make it more horizontal.
    • Amanda had a question regarding the UI. She needed to know who was making the screenshots of the items. John decided that he can work with Ben on that since Ben already has a lot on his plate with the environments and props.
    • Amanda also wondered if anyone was doing particle effects. Dmitri said Aaron will be getting outside help to teach him how to do that.
    • Dmitri mentioned that the final screenshot of our game for the Senior Book is due Friday. John will put the updated UI in the shop tomorrow, and will try to implement the Progression system tomorrow in order to get a good screenshot.
    • Tony wanted to know what the true item dialogue text is and whether it was still in there. Dmitri said it was removed in favor of personality and category.
    • Amanda then showed off her re-skin of the Lava Worm for feedback. The monitors in this room are different from the art lab monitors so it made the colors look slightly different, but the team liked what she had so far, but they did suggest some things like some spikes being a different color from the rest, and ash falling off as it moves around the level, etc.
    • Dmitri then checked-in with me about Steam Greenlight. We’re still on schedule with my release timeline.
  • We then had class on Friday followed by our Work Meeting on Saturday, April 8th, 2017…
    • I worked on finding music tracks and looked over the release timeline. I also went over the Beta checklist.
    • Amanda worked on re-skinning for the Yeti troll.
    • Tony prepared for QA tonight.
    • Dennis continued putting dialogue into text files, and then moved on to sound effects.
    • Dan finished up boss AI.
    • Ben worked on taking Riley’s level blockouts and making it into a level.
    • Riley continued putting dialogue into text files.
    • Dmitri messed around with the dialogue and adventurer.
    • John created a step-by-step list on how to make a branch and how to commit stuff so he doesn’t have to keep bothering Dmitri.
    • Aaron had to re-export the villagers since some of them were messed up.
    • During all of this, Dillon Deloge came in to film us for our trailer.
  • Whew…only a week and a few days left until our games need to be complete so crunch time is officially upon us. Everyone is working hard and hopefully it will all pay off. Stay tuned for updates!

Progress Report – Week 11

A week late but here’s an update from the week of March 26th…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, March 27th, 2017…
    • John finished the Progression system prototype, plans on working on the Poster blockout, and will be working on the main menu update.
    • Jed is working on the rewrite for the narrative, as is Tony and Dennis, the rewrite is basically cutting out all of the branching dialogue.
    • Talked about getting rid of the text already in the files.
    • Riley started the block out for the final boss fight.
    • Started thinking about sound effects or how to record them.
    • Worked on making a model flow chart for drifter customers.
  • Artist Check-In on Monday, March 27th, 2017…
    • Aaron is working on the Boar Troll Rig.
    • Amanda is working on User Interface Assets.
    • Ben showed the tree model and well model he made over the weekend.
    • Discussed plans for the reel.
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, March 29th, 2017…
    • Aaron spent this time working on the boar rig.
    • Amanda spent this time working on the user interface.
    • Ben spent this time recoloring the well and fixing the tree model.
  • Programmer Meeting on Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 (in which I attended this week)…
    • We discussed the timeline for the remainder of the week and for the semester. There are 3 weeks and 6 days left.
    • For Friday, the drafts of the poster and the trailer are due. The poster shouldn’t take the Designers too long, but the trailer is the big thing.
    • Saturday, our game will be setup for Accepted Students Day, so prospective students can play our game.
    • Gabby will be working on dialogue.
    • Dan will be working on the second boss.
    • Dmitri will be working on logic.
  • Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, March 29th, 2017…
    • We started with a quick Scrum…
      • I mentioned what I did in the work meeting, which was making the square branding image for Steam and updating the general business doc.
      • Tony rewrote a few characters and plans to finish that.
      • Riley is going to finish a level blockout
      • Amanda has been working on the UI and hopes to finish this weekend.
      • Dan is almost done setting up AI for the Troll, he plans for it to be done by next Saturday.
      • John finished the Progression System prototype but the gold counter is a little funky. He said it is ready to be given to the Programmers. He is going to work on the poster and the trailer. Riley said he wants to help with that as well.
      • Aaron rigged the Troll and will be fixing some skinning issues and plans to animate him this week.
      • Ben fixed the tree issue he was having and modeled a well. He also started working on the longhouses and plans for the level to be complete by this weekend.
      • Gabby is finishing the dialogue system and plans to be done for Friday.
      • Dmitri got customer randomization working and put in some UI stuff but it isn’t done so he plans to finish that. He wants to get the new arenas put into the game.
      • Jed has been rewriting dialogue and plans to make everything more linear as he’s going along.
      • Dennis touched up dialogue and is planning to do the draft of the reel.
    • I then brought up Accepted Students Day and asked for people to sign up who want to showcase the game to accepted students. Ben, John, and Tony agreed to go. The rest of the team will have the work meeting as usual, just with the location changed.
    • We then discussed the trailer again and how rough audio will be needed. John thinks it can be done in time.
    • The Designers then asked Dmitri about the map plane and how it can be used. They also needed a mercurial refresher on how to accurately commit stuff among other things.
    • Dmitri then wanted to remind the Designers that they can add content in.
    • He then also asked on what is being done with the suppliers. John said the plan was just to leave them as is. Dmitri suggested changing the dialogue box to match the same dialogue in the shop.
    • We then discussed audio as we need music and sound effects. Sid has been slow in responding to messages so we are considering cutting him. Dan said that he knows where to find some good free sound assets, but we will ask our professor on Friday if we can license music and how to do it.
    • We then brought up team names again since we’ve been wanting to change our name as Capstone Crusaders doesn’t fit since we’re not in Capstone anymore.
    • Since the Alpha milestone is this week, we went through the checklist of requirements, everything is either done or in the process of being done.
  • We then had our class on Friday, followed by our Full Group Meeting/Accepted Students Day on Saturday, April 1st, 2017…
    • Aaron, Ben, John, Tony, and Dmitri showcased¬†our game at Accepted Students Day during the course of this meeting, so they missed the first hour, but showed up afterward.
    • For the ones here, it was a work meeting and Dillon Deloge also appeared to film and get footage of us for use in our team reel…
    • I spent the time organizing tasks and moving ones over to the next Sprint.
    • Amanda continued working on the UI.
    • Dennis worked on narrative and the map.
    • Dan worked on his blog and the troll.
    • Tony worked on narrative revisions.
    • Dmitri worked really late last night so he just looked good for the camera as we were being filmed.
    • John worked on cutting down the script for our team reel since the first draft of it was over the required time limit.
    • Aaron had to fix the rig to the Troll.
    • Ben continued working on the level for the final boss encounter.
    • Jed continued working on the generic customers.
  • Everything seems to be coming along…once the dialogue system is in…I feel like it is smooth sailing since that is basically the thing that everyone is waiting on. The blog for the week of April 9th will be posted shortly after this one so I can be caught up.

Progress Report – Week 10

Spring Break is over now it’s back to working endlessly for another month. Updates for the week…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, March 20th, 2017…
    • Talked about what they did over the break.
      • John worked on progression system, expects to be done on Friday
      • Jed and Riley worked on implementing dialogue into text files
    • John told the team about talking with Dmitri over break and the dialogue system’s progress.
    • Went over the timeline for the next 6 weeks
    • John asked narrative writers how many interactions there are total, 63 total interactions need to be implemented.
    • Discussed team trailer filming for the senior show.
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017…
    • Amanda worked on the Dark Elf Model.
    • Aaron worked on the Troll Rig.
    • Ben showed up late but upon arrival, he worked on environment assets and vertex painting the tree leaves.
  • Programmer Meeting on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017…
    • They discussed what was worked on over break…
      • Dan was fixing broken animations.
      • Dmitri debugged adventurers and started adventurer UI.
      • Gabby focused on projects for other classes.
    • They then made a list of what still needed to be done which included…
      • Animation Implementation
      • Progression System
      • UI polish
      • 5-min idle screen
      • Better save data
      • 3D map
      • Hooking up new bosses/maps
      • Changes to top-down character
      • Suppliers and Drifters
      • Cutscene implementation
      • and Options Menu
  • Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017…
    • We started with a quick Scrum…
      • Tony finished writing his last character.
      • Jed finished¬†his characters today.
      • Riley started putting dialogue into text files.
      • Dmitri worked on debugging and tried getting new adventurer UI working and modified success chance. He plans to implement everything else that needs to be in and making sure it all works together.
      • Dennis is still working on dialogue for his characters and has been talking to someone for our game trailer.
      • John worked on prototyping the progression system and is having good progress with it. Now he’s making it as streamlined as he can so he can hand it off to the Programmers.
      • Ben didn’t get much done but worked on small props and trees and vertex painted. He had a big portfolio assignment due tomorrow, so after that, he is going to start chugging along with the environments.
      • Aaron completed villager models and are ready to be implemented. He plans to rig the troll and animate him soon.
      • Dan fixed a bug with the worm and should be in by Friday.
      • Gabby didn’t get a chance to work on production.
      • Amanda polished the troll and finished the mesh. She has now started on the dark elf, Alfar.
    • The Designers brought up how there are 63 character interactions in total and so they asked Gabby if she could show them how to connect text files to the dialogue system so she can work on more important tasks while they can work on this.
    • They then wanted to check-in with Dan on the worm boss and if it’s ready to implement…which Dan answered in his scrum by saying it should be in by Friday.
    • They then asked Dmitri about the map. Dmitri said that it would be time-consuming to make it 3D because you have to do that, and make sure everything works as well.
    • John then suggested the next Designer meeting be a work meeting to work on the map and get the text files into the dialogue system.
    • The team was then reminded that there are only 4 or so weeks left until the final version of our game has to be completed.
    • We then discussed the poster as it is more of an infographic and not a movie-type poster. The Designers decided to take on this task.
    • We discussed our polish stage, which is coming up. One of the main things we want to polish are the menus and the balancing of items.
    • Jed then brought up QA and that we need to go this week to test our dialogue prototype.
    • Amanda then brought up a big issue that there may not be enough time to get Alfar in because she still has to finish concepting/modeling it and then Aaron has to rig and animate it. We can’t really cut it unless the dialogue is re-written since the ending revolves around him. Ben suggested re-using The Grand Master’s model and rig to use for Alfar. Dmitri then said the AI would still need to be done for it.
    • There was then a suggestion for the final boss to be the Worm and Troll at the same time. There would then be the issue of the two bosses popping up on top of each other, in which a solution was made to have it be on the ocean shore with the Worm being a Sea Serpent that stays in the water, while the Troll stays on the land.
    • Narrative-wise, the dialogue needs to be rewritten to replace Alfar with a reason for having to fight them both at the same time.
    • Amanda who was going to work on Alfar, will now spend time working more on UI and then will move onto re-skinning.
    • Jed then asked if we still want to have a dialogue wheel. John suggested to hold off for now and if there’s enough time in polish then we can add it.
    • The player’s stamina in the boss fights were discussed. The suggestions were one dash and 2-second cooldown, 3 consecutive dashes with 6-second cooldown, etc. Right now, the player can dash infinitely and players prefer that over normal moving.
  • We then had class on Friday, March 24th, 2017 in which our professor was absent due to falling ill…we spent the class working.
  • The week was then concluded with our Full Group Work Meeting on Saturday, March 25th, 2017…
    • I updated the general Business doc, and discussed the release timeline with John since the timeline starts today. I also created the square branding image that Steam requires.
    • The Art Department worked on UI and animating customers. Ben, despite not being present, worked on environments from home.
    • The Design Department continued character interactions/dialogue.
    • Dennis brought in somebody who can help shoot the video for our game reel and discussed plans with him.
    • The Programming Department worked on hit detection and response dialogue.
  • It sucks that we had to cut some more…(specifically Alfar) but this did lift some of the weight off our shoulders since there is only 4 weeks or so left. So much to do, so little time, but now we’re not as worried after these cuts…we are still a little worried though, as everyone should be, but if we build it…they will come! Stay tuned for updates!

Progress Report – Week 9

  • Very short post this week as we were on spring break. Just about everyone worked on their respective tasks during their free time.
  • A few of us did stay on or near campus during the break so we met up on Saturday, March 18th, 2017 for a work meeting. Those in attendance were Jed, John, Riley, and myself.
    • Prior to the meeting I worked on our game’s page for the school’s Senior Recruitment Book. A part of this included a brief description of our game. At the meeting I looked this over with John to finalize it.
    • John worked on the Progression System prototype and plans to hand it off to the Programmers soon.
    • Riley worked on adding dialogue to the text files.
    • Jed updated the dialogue for his assigned characters.
  • Now that spring break is over it’s time to get back on track and see where we’re at this next week. Hopefully we’ll be in a good position or else we’re going to have to cut a lot more stuff, especially since we’re having our feature lock soon.
  • Other than this, there wasn’t much else as everyone enjoyed as much of the break as they could. Stay tuned for updates!

Progress Report – Week 8

Updates for the week…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, March 6th, 2017…
    • Dennis finished quests and started working on Caizan dialogue
    • Tony has finished his Drifter dialogue and will be working on customer dialogue and hope to get customer dialogue done tomorrow.
    • Jed tried to put in the customer dialogue in the text files and has been finishing up his customer dialogue, he does need to work on one more however.
    • Riley finished updating Dialogue doc, will be working on 2 more level block outs, and will help with implementing dialogue.
    • John has completed Combat Mechanic doc and plans to create a time table for Progression System implementation and wants to create a Social Media campaign.
    • Asked about Sid and audio situation, Dennis mentioned talking to an audio designer at GDC might be worth sending him an email.
    • Discussed best use of time for implementing features.
    • Did narrative read through.
  • Artist Check-In on Monday, March 6th, 2017…
    • They had a brief discussion on what they all planned to accomplish this week.
      • Aaron is going to continue working on the villagers.
      • Amanda is going to continue working on the boar/troll.
      • Ben is going to continue working on boss arena environments
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, March 8th, 2017 (in which I attended)…
    • Aaron continued work on the villagers.
    • Amanda continued modeling of the Troll.
    • Ben worked on UV’ing and roughing-out the level blockouts so he can build them all up at once.
    • I setup a Facebook page for our game which can be found at facebook.com/TheGrandMasterOfficial
  • Programmer Meeting on Wednesday, March 8th, 2017…
    • They created a timetable for things that need to get done which included…
      • Dialogue and Customer System Integration
      • Boss fights
      • Implementation of animations
      • Adventurer system
      • Tutorial
      • Progression System (which may be cut depending on how much is done at the end of this sprint)
  • Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, March 8th, 2017…
    • Quick scrum…
      • I started a Facebook page and might start an Instagram as well. I still hasn’t heard back from Jonna.
      • Riley finished the ice troll level blockout and is working on the armored troll. He also updated the dialogue doc.
      • Gabby has been focusing on other projects.
      • Dmitri worked on Aaron’s skeleton, so now there’s skeletal meshes for the villagers. He also worked on UI and plans to implement worm animations.
      • John has been reading through the dialogue and plans to meet with the leads to create a timetable from now until feature lock.
      • Dan worked on the obvious worm and still has to fix some bugs. He had a concern that the fight is too easy.
      • Aaron worked on the villagers and hopes to finish it this week. After that he will animate the troll.
      • Ben fixed the UV’s on the shop and still needs to get it into mercurial. He just UV’d a boss arena and did rough blockouts on the village.
      • Amanda has been working on the Troll and is almost done. It still needs vertex painting and putting on fur.
      • Tony worked on dialogue for the recurring characters and finished them.
      • Jed started transferring the dialogue into text files.
      • Dennis focused on other classes.
    • Aaron wanted to talk about the armored troll and wanted to know its intelligence. Riley said he wouldn’t be very intelligent. He also mentioned that since it’s armored he has to make new assets and then the Programmers have to add the logic to it. Aaron suggested we should cut it so time can be spent elsewhere so the team agreed to cut the armored troll.
    • Ben then asked Riley which levels he made has higher priority over others. The tutorial one is first priority, then the Mountain Troll, then the Lava Worm, then Elf, then Ice Worm.
    • The Designers wanted Gabby to show them a text file walkthrough. Gabby said it’s just making folders and naming them.
    • They then asked if there was any progress on the connection between dialogue and the UI. Dmitri was able to break it. Gabby can’t figure out why it crashes despite trying several different methods. They are getting closer to finding a solution though.
    • They then asked Dan how the worm mechanics/implementation is coming along. He mentioned how the worm broke when it touched the player so he is trying to fix that among various other little bugs.
    • John wanted to ask Aaron and Amanda if the troll should have a club. They then discussed having a tree trunk as his weapon instead of a club.
    • John then also wanted to confirm the haggling mechanic placement. He asked whether it appears before or after the dialogue options. Gabby said after because you have to pitch the item and then sell it essentially.
    • Jed was then worried if anything dialogue wise could be visually in, which again, it can’t. John said they were going to make a Twine involving the dialogue to test at QA.
    • Dmitri then asked the Designers if they can work on the Progression System because the Programmers don’t have much time to work on that or else it would most likely have to be cut. In addition to this, he also mentioned other work Designers can do if they need stuff is to work on the main menu and options menu.
  • We then had our class on Friday, March 10th, 2017. Dmitri was able to figure out why the spawning of a customer kept crashing the game. It was because the customer was being called without any instantiation. Despite this, it still couldn’t get the dialogue for that specific customer but could get it for the rest of them.
  • That was the end of our week as there was no work meeting the next day (Saturday) due to the start of spring break! Yay!! It’s not too much of a break as most of our team will still be working on our game throughout the week. We’ve determined that this break is really the “make or break” for us because if we don’t get everything in that is planned to be in this week then we’re going to have to cut even more features and we really don’t want to cut any more than we already have.
  • Most of the team is also staying up here for the break so the ones that are here are going to try and meet up sometime in the week for a work meeting. Other than that next week’s post will probably be pretty short since there won’t be any other meetings. We’re still in good shape as of now, despite being slightly behind schedule but as stated before, everything hinges on what’s done during this next week. Stay tuned for updates!

Progress Report – Week 7

Updates for the week…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, February 27th, 2017…
    • John has been working on the progression doc, and planning on working on updating the adventurer doc.
    • Dennis has been working on UI fonts, Reel storyboarding, and dialogue.
    • Tony has been writing supplier dialogue and item dialogue and placement in shops/tiers.
    • Jed worked on generic customer dialogue, as well as Desna, Ragnar, and Ereka’s first meetings. He plans on getting more openings and interactions done.
    • Riley finished up the level blockouts and updated some to fix bugs.
    • They talked about 3D map implementation
    • Discussed Sid’s audio clip
    • Agreed on Saturday for testing
    • Planned on getting Tutorial in for next sprint.
  • Artist Check-In also on February 27th…
    • They met through Discord and discussed what they wanted to complete by Wednesday night.
    • Ben is to complete the first pass at the worm pit boss environment.
    • Aaron is going to work on more worm animations.
    • Amanda is to start the troll boss modeling.
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, March 1st, 2017…
    • Amanda worked on modeling the troll boss.
    • Aaron worked on some more villager models.
    • Ben (who showed up late) worked on the worm pit environment
  • Programmer Meeting also on March 1st (which I attended)…
    • Dmitri talked to the Designers saying that they should add more clarification to documents. It has lead to miscommunication among the Programmers.
    • Gabby expressed concern with the Designers stating that they haven’t really worked on systems, as well as they misunderstood her question about the dialogue system, which was whether or not the dialogue was specific to the item or if it was generic.
    • We then looked at Gabby’s drawing of how she interpreted the system while she explained it. She suggests that the Designers should go generic with the dialogue.
    • Gabby also started on The Grand Master’s responses.
    • We then drew a sketch for a new possible layout for the text responses, where they’re all stacked on top of each other, instead of having 4 blocks, since Jed in an earlier meeting mentioned the 4-box method might be too small to fit all of the text.
    • We then drew a diagram of the flow of the dialogue/trust system, which goes through the process of talking to the customer and selling to them. Choosing the item they’re looking for creates a positive response and vice-versa. Then if the item is right, you have the 4 dialogue options, each that can leave a positive/negative response and can increase/decrease customer trust and chance of making a sale.
    • Gabby then said that if the player chooses negative, she is not sure which route it goes after that. The 2 options are it brings the 4 choices up again, or it creates a new set of dialogue options, giving the player another chance to choose a positive option with both ways, but the 2nd way also increases the negative chance.
    • She then also suggested the possibility of increasing difficulty by having the range of trust go from -1 to 1 instead of 0 to 1.
    • We then asked Dan how the worm is coming along. Right now, it kills the player if they get close so he’s trying to fix that to where it only happens during the pop up animation.
    • For behaviors, Dan says it’s been going great and sees no problem with it being in on Friday.
  • We then had our big Full Group Discussion also on March 1st…
    • Sid, our sound guy attended as well. Dennis was absent due to being at GDC.
    • We started with a quick Scrum…
      • Tony worked on items and what tier they should belong to based on the progression system.
      • Jed worked on generic customers and plans on finishing middle interactions.
      • Gabby worked on dialogue system implementation.
      • Riley continued level design and had some bugs, but should be fixed now. He plans on making 3 more levels. He also suggested having the levels change up.
      • John finished the progression system doc and now needs the tools from the Programmers so he can go into the build. He then mentioned that Dennis has been working on introductions to his characters and is working on a sound effect list.
      • Ben worked on the first boss level and plans to have a first pass in build tonight.
      • Aaron worked on animations for the worm. He has several finished and is ready to be put in the game. He plans to either continue the villagers or animation The Grand Master.
      • Dan worked on worm damage and still needs to fix it but other than that and putting animations on it, it is almost done.
      • Dmitri added Amanda’s art to the wheel and tweaked the top-down character so it follows the mouse. He plans on doing system integration.
      • Amanda finished the textures and shading for the UI and started working on the Troll.
    • The Designers clarified with Gabby that what she made for the dialogue system is what the Designers were looking for.
    • She then mentioned to the Designers that she needs clear documentation for the dialogue, as all of them are outdated.
    • She then also explained how exactly the system works to the Designers so everyone was on the same page. She then asked the question of the 2 choices were it brings up the same dialogue or if it brings up new dialogue. John suggested keeping the same dialogue.
    • Another question Gabby had is if the customers should have the same intro dialogue, which the Designers agreed that would be easier.
    • She then asked the question about the slider bar and what the max on it should be. Right now it increases to 100% more than the base price. John suggested going up to 200%.
    • She then also asked the trust question on if it should go from -1 to 1 instead of 0 to 1 (which would increase difficulty). John thinks we should switch to the -1 to 1 scale.
    • Jed had a question if it was possible to add branches to the dialogue for recurring customers. Gabby already wrote the functions but said that he could.
    • We then talked with Sid and he made three songs that are up on Slack. He thought 1 would be good for the shop and the second one would be for the boss battle. The 3rd one is just something he had composed and thought it could be used if necessary.
    • I was then asked about a minor audio task Dennis assigned me. Dennis had showed me an ancient Swedish herding call video and I got the singer’s contact information in case we want to see if it has royalty-free use. I also found a website with royalty-free sound effects that contain those ancient Swedish sounds.
    • We made and sent Dennis GIFs so he could show our game to people he talks to at GDC.
    • The Programmers in addition to everything Gabby said earlier also wanted the system docs from the Designers to be more specific because they were getting confused on what was actually planned for the game.
    • We then talked about player experience in the boss battles. John said we could get rid of the super attack if necessary. Aaron is changing the basic attack animation. Riley suggests keeping the boss battle simple. John suggested adding an effect where the worm can dive down onto an object in the arena that is used for cover to where it is destroyed, and the player can no longer use it for cover.
    • There was some uncertainty in whether or not the lava worm is supposed to have a flame breath or fireball attack. We decided to go with Fireball.
  • We then had our class on Friday, March 3rd, 2017, which was the last day of our sprint (Sprint 7). During the producer meeting at the start of class, we were just discussing team concerns. Unfortunately I guess because of that and the way I had phrased it, it made my professor extremely worried about our game…but then after meeting with our whole team as usual afterward, he was relieved to know it wasn’t as bad as I had made it sound.
  • Sprint 8 was then started the next day on Saturday, March 4th, 2017, in which we had our Full Group Work Meeting…
    • Sid showed up to talk sounds with John.
    • I worked on moving necessary tasks over to the next sprint and closing ones that were completed. I also contacted Jonna Jinton (the person who made the Swedish herding call video Dennis had shown me earlier) for possible royalty-free use of songs she has created that uses Kulning, (the official name of said ancient Swedish herding call) to put into the game.
    • The Art Department continued modeling of the Troll and the UV’s for the shop.
    • The Design Department in addition to talking sounds with Sid, worked on tweaking the dialogue system doc and the dialogue scripts.
    • The Programming Department worked on integrating systems to get it more visual.
  • Whew, so much stuff is happening all at once and I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t overwhelming trying to keep up with all of it. Being the only producer on the biggest team, my weaknesses are definitely starting to come out more and more¬†but I’m trying my best to adapt as needed. I’ve been told I never give myself much credit so maybe I’m over-exaggerating. Anyway, regardless of that, I think a lot of progress is being made and if our professor feels less worried then I feel less worried too.

Progress Report – Week 6

Updates for the week…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, February 20th, 2017 (which I attended)
    • We started the meeting with a quick Scrum…
      • John didn’t have too much to do this week so he offered his help to anyone who needed it, and planned to do the same with Artists.
      • Riley finished up the level design for the bosses.
      • Jed and Tony finished up the tutorial. Jed now plans on making dialogue for the generic customers.
      • Dennis finished all of the side quests and behind-the-scenes like an emote list for Aaron. He also looked into other font styles.
    • We then looked at the QA feedback from Saturday…
      • When asked if the UI was clear enough, every tester except one said it was pretty clear and easy to understand. The one tester who felt otherwise said that they didn’t fully understand the turn mechanic or what day it was.
      • When asked if anything was missing from the UI, testers suggested making it more eye-catching and that the placement was a little messy. Other people suggested a “Next Page” button on the intro since the only option is to skip the entire intro, as well as sorting the inventory by weapons, food, armor, etc.
      • When asked about the new isometric view on the shop, most the testers liked it, but some thought the shop was too empty and one didn’t like the floating camera.
      • Finally, when asked for other thoughts on the game, someone pointed out that the spear goes crazy when aimed in a certain direction. Someone else pointed out that 5 characters in a row asked for the same thing and the tester didn’t have that item in their inventory, and lastly, someone else wants to see more development with the narrative.
    • For our Full Group Meeting on Wednesday, they wanted to bring up a suggestion to have the boss arena randomized so the testers can see the new arena blockouts Riley have worked on as well as the dialogue system.
  • Artist Check-In also on Monday, February 20th, 2017…
    • Amanda and Ben showed what they worked on in the work meeting on Saturday (Amanda showed the UI, Ben showed the shop environment). Aaron showed the work he did since Saturday (character skin weighting and rigging).
    • They also discussed plans for what they wanted to accomplish this week.
  • Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017…
    • Aaron worked on the female villager.
    • Amanda continued work on the hand-painted wood texture for the UI.
    • Ben did not attend due to being sick.
  • Programmer Meeting on Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017…
    • They discussed what has been worked on…
      • Dan set up the worm flavor, where it can pop up from the ground and hit the player. He planned to get this in by Friday. If so, he would start on the next worm variety.
      • Gabby added the characters to the array, and made the manager actually manage customers. After this there have been no more engine crashes. She planned to have this finished by Friday as well as having the customer system moved completely over to her new framework. Then she will move on to the dialogue system.
      • Dmitri worked on the new UI assets, asset implementation, and helping with the art pipeline. Once done, he plans to start implementation of the adventurer system.
  • Full Group Discussion Meeting on Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017…
    • We started the meeting with a quick Scrum…
      • I started a rough timeline for the release of the game. I had¬†to do 2 different ones (one for Steam Greenlight, one for Steam Direct) since Direct launches and Greenlight closes around the same time the game plans to be released. Jed suggested if Greenlight closes, and Direct is too expensive, that we could look into releasing it onto itch.io.
      • Dan had been working on other classes mainly but he had the 2nd worm flavor set up and working. He planned to implement that by Friday.
      • Aaron had been working on villagers and is getting close to being done.
      • Dmitri worked on implementing new UI, adding the turn wheel and fixing bugs with it. He plans to get more assets implemented like the new shop.
      • Riley finished the blockouts for the boss arenas and is pretty light at the moment.
      • John has been light as well but started¬†a document for the progression system.
      • Dennis made a list of assets involving sound. He also made a storyboard for a gameplay reel, researched more fonts, and worked on generic customer dialogue. He will be absent next week due to attending GDC, but plans to get some stuff done during his downtime.
      • Gabby worked on getting the customer system in and fixed a lot of bugs.
      • Tony focused mainly on other classes but is going to work with Dennis and Jed on generic customer dialogue.
      • Jed finished the tutorial with Tony. He also worked a little bit on generic customer dialogue.
      • Amanda worked on hand-painted wood textures and showed them off. She also showed off the placeholder UI textures. She also threw out more ideas like stone borders, etc.
      • Ben didn’t attend due to being sick (as mentioned earlier).
    • For Design, John brought up the possibility of the boss arena being randomized to show off the new blockouts that Riley had worked on. Dmitri said it shouldn’t be too hard to do.
    • For Programming, Dmitri had some workload concerns due to having mid-term projects due right before spring break. The Programmers made a plan for the next two weeks in which one worm variation and the customer system would be in this week, and the 2nd worm variation and dialogue system would be in next week.
    • Dmitri also expressed concern for the adventuring system. It needs lots of development but is not an important system, so more time could be focused on the boss battles and the merchant system. He thinks to keep it in, it needs more Designer intervention. They could work on some of it so Dmitri could focus on the other systems.
    • Jed suggested for the adventuring system that you could keep the same modular format as the other villagers but give them appropriate armor and an appropriate head. Aaron then said that wouldn’t work because he’d still have to make the armor and the head.
    • The only option left is to scale back the system, but the only thing that could probably be scaled back is the visuals.
    • Amanda, John, and Dmitri then discussed UI. Dmitri and John suggested having a first draft of sorts, with the hand-painted texture and get that implemented so she can move on to sketching the troll.
    • Jed then mentioned the tutorial since it involves the troll. Once the troll is in the tutorial it can then be put into the game.
    • John then said that the Tundra Worm needed to be in by the end of this sprint, then the next sprint would be focused on the troll.
    • Dmitri then wanted clarification on the top down player character and asked if weapon swapping was still planned. John suggested keeping it as is because of time, but suggested adding a super attack.
  • By the time our class rolled around on Friday, February 24th, 2017, we were able to get the updated turn wheel, the new shop and its assets, and the new boss arenas in. Our professor thought a lot of progress has been made, so hopefully that meant we are finally back in his good graces!
  • The week was concluded with our Full Group Work Meeting on Saturday, February 25th, 2017…
    • I¬†finished the release timelines for the game prior to the meeting, and shared them with the team.
    • The Art Department worked on UI and the worm pit.
    • The Design Department worked on arena blockouts, UI, dialogue scripts, and a storyboard for our reel.
    • The Programming Department worked on fixing some bugs and starting on the last worm flavor.
  • So far things are looking a lot better than they were the last two weeks, which is good! Morale does seem a little low at the moment though, so the leads and I discussed how we could possibly boost it. This story is getting good! What will happen on the next episode?! Will the team run into more obstacles? Will morale continue to fall or will the leads find a solution? Who will be evicted from the Big Brother house? Find out next week on AJ-TV!

Progress Report – Week 5

Updates for the week…

  • There was an Artist Check-In on Monday, February 13th, 2017. They¬†discussed their plans for the week. Aaron would continue working on the Grand Master’s rig, Amanda would be working on User Interface, and Ben would be working on the shop interior environment.
  • The same day there was a Designer Meeting…
    • John worked on UI tests
    • Jed worked on character writing and dialogue systems
    • Riley worked on Level Block outs
    • Dennis and Tony worked on Character writing
    • Discussed the issue with the trust mechanic for dialogue system
    • Decided to have the traits be randomly generated for randomly generated customers, but for recurring customers the trust stat will be hard set by Designers and will increase or decrease a certain amounts that Designers choose.
    • Talked about changing turns from numerical turns to hours of the day or time of day.
    • Discussed creating a google sheet for an items list for price and adventurer stats.
    • For the Full Group Meeting on Wednesday, they wanted to talk to Gabby about the personality system and finalize the trust mechanic, as well as the suggestion of switching the turns to hours of the day.
  • There was an Artist Work Meeting on Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 in which I was in attendance for. Amanda worked on UI, Ben worked on the shop environment, and Aaron continued rigging. I ended up working on a SWOT Analysis.
  • There was also a Programmer Meeting at the same time, but I’m not entirely sure of the details that was discussed, but our Full Group Meeting was right after this.
  • As just mentioned, there was then a Full Group Meeting that followed the two previously mentioned meetings…
    • We stared the meeting with a quick Scrum.
      • Tony worked on dialogue with Jed. Jed also worked on dialogue for two other characters.
      • Riley continued level design blockouts and finished the tutorial level. He plans on moving to the mountain troll arena.
      • Dan is finishing up worm architecture.
      • Ben worked on shop environment is planned to finish modeling it today. He plans to vertex paint next.
      • Dennis has been planning and organizing the dialogue with Tony and Jed. He also made an item asset list.
      • John made a blueprint for the new UI layout and plans to implement it with Dmitri after the meeting.
      • Aaron has been rigging and is almost done with The Grand Master. He started rigging the Tundra Worm.
      • Dmitri worked on re-doing some adventurer data. He added The Grand Master and villager models to the game in addition to some camera shaking. He plans to work with John on UI implementation as well as data-driven quests.
      • Gabby worked on the customer system and plans to have it done Friday. She plans to tackle the dialogue system next.
      • Amanda is working on UI to make it more diagetic (but not completely). She is testing out different textures.
      • I continued organization and did a SWOT Analysis.
    • After the Designers wanted to talk to Gabby about the personality system and trust mechanic. Riley suggested changing some of the dialogue options to remove the generosity and trust options directly. Riley will update the design doc soon to reflect that.
    • The Designers also suggested instead of having a set number of turns a day, to use the sun to show the player the time of day. The turns are still there in a sense, but it is reflected on where the sun is in the sky.
    • The team liked this suggestion, but Ben wondered how the sun would transition each turn (will it be at the beginning/ending of a turn). Dmitri suggested it would smoothly move across the sky after each turn.
    • John then mentioned that as cool as this is, it probably needs to be put on the back burner for now.
    • The Programmers wanted to get some clarification from the Designers on the personality system and that there is still some uncertainty on the player character. John said the Designers can create a doc for that in their Designer Meeting.
    • The Artists then showed an updated mini-presentation with pictures of the work they have done.
    • We then talked about fonts for the UI. Something that would be cool is since the UI is planning to have wood textures in it, having the words singed into the wood would look nice, but decided that would be a stretch goal.
    • Riley had questions about what other types of arenas can be blocked out that Ben could make.
    • I then mentioned to the leads about the Sprint Review Reports since this week is the end of the sprint.
  • We then had our class on Friday, February 17th, 2017. New additions to the build that we were able to add in time were The Grand Master and villager models with idle animations for the former, part of our new UI, and camera shake. It still wasn’t enough to get back into our professor’s good graces but we’re in a better position than we were.
  • We then had a Full Group Work Meeting on Saturday, February 18th, 2017…
    • I worked on organization; moving all in progress tasks to Sprint 7, making tasks for the side quests, and closing tasks that are complete, etc. and started a timeline for releasing our game on Steam Greenlight or Steam Direct (depending on when Direct is launched in conjunction with when we finish the game).
    • The Art Department worked on making a prototype of the new UI, continued rigging of the worm/villagers, and modeling/painting of the shop interior.
    • The Design Department started block outs of the boss arena for Alfar, finished the Sprint Review Report, and talked about the dialogue system with Gabby because it needed to be tweaked.
    • The Programming Department worked on implementing the new UI and fixing the bug that causes the game to crash at the boss battle, but mercurial is acting up so they’re trying to fix that as well.
  • That night, we brought the build to QA to test the new UI, and that’s it for the week! Stay tuned for updates!

Progress Report – Week 4

Hey all! I’m back to inform the millions (and Millions!) AND MILLIONS of¬†The Grand Master’s¬†fans on what happened this week so here are the updates…

  • Designer Meeting on Monday, February 6th, 2017…
    • It was a quick check in and scrum
    • John submitted Adventurer Doc and will be working on rough pass of new UI
    • Riley submitted Boss Mechanics list and is working on block outs of boss arenas
    • Tony is working on Adventurer Quests and selected a character to write about
    • Dennis finished updating the UI Doc, and selected a character to write about
    • Jed prototyped a dialogue system, and selected a character to write about
    • Talked about team cohesion and dynamic
    • Jed, Tony, and Dennis divided up the characters to write about
    • All Designers talked about what sound effects they could possibly make
    • Riley agreed to start a block out of the tutorial boss fight at the supplier’s shop
    • Riley and John discussed the Progression System, and will talk more on a Saturday Meeting in the future
    • They had nothing to bring up to the team in the Full Group Meeting on Wednesday
  • Simultaneously there was a quick Artist check-in…
    • They discussed what they had been working on. Aaron showed the vertex painted Grand Master character and Ben showed some modular environment pieces he made.
    • They confirmed their Wednesday meeting time and place as well.
  • Wednesday, February 8th, 2017 had the Artist Work Meeting…
    • They discussed possible Color Palettes
    • Worked on individual work (Aaron worked on rigs, Amanda worked on the Worm, Ben worked on modular environment assets)
    • Lastly, they considered putting together an art calendar
  • Simultaneously there was a Programmer Meeting (of which I attended)…
    • Dan couldn’t make it because he was sick.
    • Gabby and Dmitri checked-in with each other. Gabby worked for about 4 hours figuring out Unreal. She was looking at blueprints on how to make different fields. The end goal for this Sprint is to get the new dialogue system in.
    • Dan’s Sprint goal is to get the Tundra Worm in.
    • Dmitri reviewed the Designer docs to get an idea for what they want. He also helped Jed edit the narrative by adding feedback comments to the narrative doc. He plans to fiddle around with the build soon.
    • They don’t really have anything to bring up for the Full Group Meeting aside from questions about making sure everyone is on track with what the rest of the team is doing.
  • Following the conclusion of these two meetings, we had our Full Group Discussion…
    • We started the meeting with a quick scrum…the Artists made a little presentation to show the team. Aaron showed the color palette they’ve decided on which uses blues, yellows, and browns. The rig of The Grand Master was shown.
    • Ben showed off his environment pieces for the boss arena. There are some bad seams at the moment, but he is working on the corner pieces. He also showed other pieces that involve what looks like waterfalls, which he plans to make look more like ice later.
    • Amanda showed off her progress on the model for the Tundra Worm which is pretty much complete, and now she is coloring it up.
    • John suggested that the spikes on the worm’s back be more like a spine instead of it being all disarrayed. Most of the team prefer the disarray. He also suggested that if eyes were added, it should have three eyes.
    • Dmitri suggested shortening the spikes since he felt they were a little too long.
    • Aaron talked to Walpole about the villagers, and he suggested binding them and removing a piece of their geometry each time so we can have many villagers, and asked the Programmers if that could be possible. Dmitri after some thinking, decided it’s worth a shot.
    • For the future, Aaron will be finishing the rig, Amanda will move on to concepting the Troll, and Ben will be working more with environments and creating more objects.
    • For Designers, John finished the Adventurer Doc and put it on the Wiki.
    • Dennis updated the UI doc and is working on the dialogue for his characters.
    • Jed started writing dialogue for Tym (one of the Adventurers in our game). He had concern about Riley’s dialogue system where the buttons are too small to fit a lot of dialogue in them. Gabby suggested a dial with multiple conversation lines, and the player spins the dial to select which conversation option they want to choose.
    • Tony started writing dialogue for his assigned character.
    • Riley started the creation of the Lava Worm arena. He passed that of to Ben to see if he liked it. He has been also working on the tutorial boss area with John. He plans to work on the other boss arenas once these are completed.
    • Dmitri worked on reviewing docs and decided to make a plan for how they will get done. He’s still planning on moving everything to mercurial. He plans on working on the adventurer system and making it logical.
    • Gabby worked on customers.
    • Dan was absent due to being sick, but mentioned previously on Slack that he worked on bullets and is not sure whether or not to use a Nav Mesh, but is leaning away from it.
    • I worked on updating the Business Doc and pushed it out right at the end of Sprint 5. I plan on starting a new doc, but I’m currently unsure on which one to do at the moment.
    • Dmitri suggested a feature-lock in right after Spring Break so time can be spent to polish everything that is in the game at that present time.
    • John then mentioned that downtime can give the Designers availability to focus on sound effects.
  • We then had our class on Friday, February 10th, 2017. We updated the other team in our class about the work we’ve been doing and vice-versa. Even though the team was feeling good (as well as myself)…I knew it was too good to be true. Our professor told us he was worried and that we’re running of time. This was because there hasn’t been much added to the build since the semester started (but this is because most of the work that was being done is back-end.) and he expected our new UI layout to be in the game already, which it isn’t, but is planned to be in before the next class (February 17th). He then stated (to both us and the other team) that from now on he is requiring us to have something new in the build to show off every week.
  • Following all of this, I and the leads had a quick meeting in the hallway where we laid down things that could possibly get put in the game by next class. This included stuff like the new UI, the personality/dialogue system, and The Grand Master himself.
  • We then had our Full Group Work Meeting the following day on Saturday, February 11th, 2017…
    • The Art Department worked on attaching the skeleton to the mesh of The Grand Master, adding new environment pieces to the shop and re-coloring the teeth of the Tundra Worm.
    • The Design Department worked on organizing the dialogue and working on the tutorial scene on the narrative end. Riley was sick and couldn’t make it, but continued block-outs of boss arenas from home. John worked on his blog and made a UI asset list.
    • The Programming Department worked on decision trees, A.I., and adventuring system logic.
    • I continued organizing the Wiki, and noted that the Mid-Term Milestone is due March 9th and wrote the requirements for it on the board so the team can see. I also wrote what still needed to be logged and looked more into 3D-printing so we can have figurines of The Grand Master on display.
  • Honestly most of the times in the work meeting I just walk around talking to everyone else seeing what they’re doing since I feel like (in terms of work) there’s not much tangible stuff for me to do aside from certain business docs (which aren’t even required this semester to my knowledge). I’m not very good at them either but I try to do them as best I can. Anyway, I was feeling good these last couple weeks until our professor mentioned that he was worried. I don’t feel too bad still since we’ve laid out multiple things that we can get put in the game next week so hopefully that all comes to fruition and we’ll be back in his good graces next week. Stay tuned for updates!